In early 2019 we decided that it was time to finally follow through on the home renovation that we had dreamed of for years. It started with the kitchen, followed by the flooring upstairs and downstairs, and last but not least, we decided to renovate the kids' bathroom.
In the process of deciding on the bathroom fixtures the following was on our wish list:
- At the top of our wish list was a touch-free flush, high-efficiency toilet that would help mama out with the cleaning
- A faucet that would not leak water all over the counter
- And a sink that was as large as the space would accommodate with a drain that was more child-friendly than what we currently had
I was incredibly excited to find plenty of helpful options that met, and exceeded all of our wishes through American Standard Canada.
Clean Activate Toilet
For our new toilet, we chose the The American Standard Canada Clean Activate Toilet. This particular one was not only a high-efficiency toilet, but also met our wish for a touch-free flush. In fact, it uses 20% less water than traditional toilets which is amazing when you have 3 boys who drink a lot of water and need the bathroom often. We also LOVE that you can simply wave your hand within 2 inches from the sensor to activate the flush. Another cool feature is the slow closing seat. This eliminates the 5 am alarm we get in the house when our youngest uses the washroom and lets the toilet lid drop as loud as possible (anyone relate to that?)!
But wait, that's not all! As its name suggests, this toilet has several incredible features that help keep it clean and not looking like "the kid's toilet". The first feature is the "EverClean" surface that is baked onto the product during manufacturing. It inhibits the growth of bacteria, mold, and mildew. The second is a concealed trap way on the bottom half of the toilet. This creates smooth sides for a hassle-free clean-up (of the obvious.) The third amazing feature is...are you ready for this??? The toilet bowl cleans itself with every flush! How amazing is that?! Now, I officially want this toilet in our other two bathrooms and I am sure you do too! I wonder if we could just have floors that clean themselves too??? A mom can only dream right?
Studio Suite Under-counter Sink
Okay, now moving on to the sink and faucet. For the sink, we knew we wanted something under the counter with a modern and sleek look. The Studio Suite Under-counter Sink checked off all the boxes. I loved that it has a rectangular look and that it is made out of stain-resistant material. This especially helps on spaghetti nights when more sauce goes on their hands and face than into their mouths!
Time Square Collection Widespread Faucet
While choosing the faucet, I wanted it to have a chunky, bold look but also wanted one that would accommodate my young kids' little hands as they are developing their motor skills. However, I also wanted it to have a look that the boys would love in their teenage years. Finally, I wanted a design that would be easy to clean and that would prevent build up around it. I immediately loved the Time Square Collection Widespread Faucet when I found it. There is a nice space between the handles and faucet for cleaning and also has the exact look I was hoping for! I was very thankful that it is Water Sense Certified because it has a flow rate that saves water. This way we feel a little less guilty when the boys leave the water running as they count to 30 scrubbing their hands.
We are so pleased with our bathroom makeover. It is special to have it done while the kids are young so they can grow up using these amazing fixtures!
All Natural Kid-Friendly Cleaning Solutions
Speaking of the boys growing up, I am involving them more and more in cleaning duties around the house...especially while everyone is at home all day, every day. It has always been important to me to use natural cleaning solutions, but now even more so with the boys using the products too. I thought I would share a few of the "recipes" I am using for our cleaning supplies right now.
All-purpose Natural Cleaners
- Vinegar and baking soda: Not only is this combination effective but it is super fun for the kids to make. To make it simply add a little baking soda to any surface you want to clean and then add vinegar and watch it sizzle! I like using this one for sinks and drains.
- Castile soap and water: Mixing 2-3 Tbsp. of castile soap with 2 cups of water works really well for cleaning any surface. I also like to add a drop of peppermint and lemon essential oils for a fresh scent in the kitchen, or a drop of lavender essential oil for a calming scent in the bathrooms.
Grout/Window Sill Natural Cleaner
- Water, baking soda and tea-tree oil: Mix 1 tbsp. of water with 3 tbsp. of baking soda and 1-2 drops of tea tree essential oil into a paste. You can spread it over grout or build-up on your window sill and leave for 15 minutes. After, scrub it with a small brush (I use a toothbrush), and then wipe it clean. If you want to go that extra step, I recommend adding vinegar to the brush.
Window/Glass Natural Cleaner
- A simple 1/2 and 1/2 solution of vinegar and water works well for any glass surface or window! If you are looking for a little fresh scent and "streak-free" finish, add a drop of lemon juice or lemon essential oil!
This post was developed in partnership with American Standard Canada. The writing, opinions, and product love are all my own.
Noelle Martin is a Registered Dietitian with a Master of Science in Foods and Nutrition specializing in women’s health. She’s also a mom of three young boys who keep her busy every day! This post was originally published on https://motherhoodandmeals.com/.